Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Guilt and Indulgence

Andrew Solomon in The Noonday Demon (which I have only just begun reading) says "Neither blame nor indulge yourself." I do both of those very well. I sometimes wonder if it's easier in a way for non-cycling depression in that you have time to fully recover and build a life, rather than crash, recover, crash, recover with little opportunity to build anything.

I ran across the following quote on the Internet. I do not know the context but the quote seems very relevant: "To dwell in this desert and make it bloom requires that we indulge in neither guilt nor vainglorious fantasizing, but struggle to know ourselves as we are."

And I suppose that type of true knowledge, one that fully embraces all that one is capable of and contentedly leaves behind everything else, leads neither to frenetic activity nor guilt-clad passivity, but instead to fully engaged activity born out of identity and dwelling in the instance of this moment, and this, and this, and this.

No comments:

Post a Comment